Wednesday, 16 September 2015

Week 3

Week 3 Task


Practical Activity 

Storify 

So I have made my Storify account  :https://storify.com/Hannii_27 please go online and follow me and check out my for first story about the Syrian Refugees.

I looked at fellow student Heidi and Rebecca's accounts and other accounts online and realised it is a great medium to use. To start of with I found it complicated and annoying and thought it was just like using twitter. However after reading peoples stories and seeing how its can be used I believe it is a great tool to show a story.

It allows people to show other mediums like twitter posts and YouTube videos to help get their point and story across. It also allows you to show different sides of a story and make the story more interesting by seeing videos and actual people's opinions about the topic..

Storify does not have the ground breaking stories from all around the world but it does cover a wide range of stories from sports news like the US Tennis Open to the reign of Queen Elizabeth II. It is not like social media is does not cover every topic happening a round the world.



Technical Activiyt Week 3 Quiz

This quiz was great had me really thinking, however I still need to make sure I am reading the question an answering properly as that is letting me down. I had to attempt it twice and got 91.67% really happy with that score. I really struggled with grammar, punctuation and spelling as a kid so this course is helping me understand and improve my skills before finishing my degree. 


Inquiry Activity 



The broadcast lead paragraph discussed how this is a long life dream of Mr Turnbull's and how he addressed parliament for the first time as Prime Minister. 


This is how the lead paragraph in the online article portrayed the news. Malcolm Turnbull says he will lead a "thoroughly Liberal government" and paid tribute to his predecessor, Tony Abbott, after winning the ballot overnight. Turnbull was humbled by the honour bestowed upon him.


  • Print: 


In the print article the lead paragraph focused on the new deals Mr Turnbull has made to quickly heal the wounds of his divided government. It also discussed how Abbott's mentor John Howard urged the liberal party to support Mr Turnbull. 

All three mediums had a different take on the news, one lead with how Mr Turnbull has fulfilled a life long dream. One lead with how he is winning over parliament and has the support of former Prime Minister John Howard. The final one lead with how Mr Turnbull would lead his government and turn things around for Australia. 

This topic was chosen as it has been a very controversial topic in the media the last two days and I wanted to investigate it more and see how it was being portrayed in the media and to the public. 








1 comment:

  1. Hey Hannah,

    Loving your post this week! It's looking very sleek and professional. Your review on Storify was very helpful, it is a great website isn't it?

    Your cover the difference in all three news sources well with clear indication of each difference. The new government shift has sent media outlets into frezies!

    Make sure you're proofreading your work though as I came across some spelling errors. Also make sure you keep your sentences clear and concise otherwise they can start to lose meaning and the reader will eventually stop.

    Great improvement from last week, though. You're improving in punctuation already.

    Cheers,
    Shayla

    ReplyDelete